Monday, April 30, 2012

(12) Edutopia

Source: here.

There are many interesting resources available for teachers online. It's simply a matter of looking for them. Edutopia, a website published by The George Lucas Educational Foundation, is one of these. Lucas is, of course, a legend for his contribution to science fiction, the Star Wars franchise, and technology is one facet of science. The link above offers some tips for how technology can be incorporated into an English classroom. Of the many listed, I am particularly fond of the blog idea and that involving Sonic the Hedgehog, which is somewhat similar to the Halo Odyssey video I posted about - an innovative new look at an old epic. As for the blog, I created a fantasy class blog for one of my projects last semester. Although there were no students to actually test drive it, I set up what I thought were user-friendly tools for eventual students to employ, and it was very fun for me, so I imagined it would be for my students, as well.

2 comments:

  1. Sarin, this is a great article! As a future English teacher, I often fret about how to integrate technology, but the ideas in the article you found are wonderful! I too like the blog idea concerning Sonic the Hedge Hog - it's a cute way to get students involved. Edutopia is quickly becoming one of my favorite websites for teaching (and TeacherTube! Check it out). The articles are very useful and honest. I could actually see myself or another teacher using many of the ideas proposed on the articles/blogs on this website. Great idea to post on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lizz, thank you. I also have a blast trying to come up with ways pop culture can be added into our lessons, because we know already that what students care about in the first place will better keep their attention, so why not make use of that? If I were a child first learning about The Odyssey, a cute, energetic character like Sonic the Hedgehog, who has been popularized for years by the SEGA franchise, would help me understand more than the giant actual text of The Odyssey (though I love it now and cherish my copy).

      And thanks for the suggestion on TeacherTube; I have actually visited it and love it, too. There are so much untapped resources to be found online.

      Delete