Monday, April 2, 2012

(5) Social Networking as a Way of Understanding Perspective in an English Classroom

Last semester, in my CURR 312-03 (Teaching English Language Learners) class, the lesson plan in my content area given to me to modify was based on understanding perspective. The main text for this lesson was The True Story of the Three Little Pigs, which retold the popular three pig fairy tale in the big bad wolf's point of view. I found it very intriguing because it defied the conventional idea of a protagonist and forced students to look through the eyes of a character they might otherwise be unsympathetic to.

I recently started tutoring a student for my READ 411 class's fieldwork. N is eleven and very good at math. Just Wednesday, she was telling me about how she was chosen to take a special math placement test. English, however, is very difficult for her to grasp sometimes. Like me, she is American born, but the child of Bengali immigrants who can't always help her in English the way they can in math, which has a more universal language.

I asked N this weekend if she was familiar with facebook, to which she replied, "Well, duh, don't you have one?" This is a response I feel may be common to children and young adults nowadays, but I think it's possible to use it to our advantage, particularly in an English classroom. With that in mind, and tasked to create a multimedia lesson plan for READ 411, N and I read the introduction of D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths. This is a text I recommend to any teacher introducing Greek mythology, which can be very dark, to very young students. The intro outlined the disparities between titans and gods and how the balance of power between them continually shifted.

After we'd read the intro, I asked N to recap it for me as briefly as she could. Once that was complete, I inquired whether she had a favorite character; she chose, quite obviously, Zeus, who is outlined as the hero who brought the tyrannical titans to their knees. D'Aulaires is especially wonderful because it helped N understand the complex family dynamic of the Olympians, the upper echelon of the gods. I urged her to take this understanding and, to assess it, create a facebook for Zeus that incorporated statuses and relationships to properly portray his perspective and his interaction with the other gods. This was a really fun task for her. She seemed to instantly know based on Zeus' dialogue in the myths that he might not speak to his peers the way she does hers. I noted down specific things she wrote as statuses (hiding from Hera again, getting advice from Athena, keeping Aphrodite away from flirty gods, etc), as well as the image she took from Google to use as Zeus' profile picture.

I think having students do something like this in a greater quantity, in my future classroom, would not only cater to their interests, but also help them get into the head-space of a character they might not otherwise care for. N told me she liked doing what we did, that it was fun, and there are vast differences between an ageless male god and an eleven year old girl, but she closed this gap almost effortlessly during the assignment.

4 comments:

  1. I've seen students use this kind of project in my cooperating teacher's classroom. And what you say is exactly true! The students take on a characters identity and attempt to verbalize what they may have been feeling or thinking. The students don't even realize that this project makes them shift from reluctant reader to a critical thinker in character analysis. It is these sneaky ways that help students with comprehension skills and help them realize that reading is fun! I too will definitely incorporate this project in my classroom as a way to help my students identify and understand characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is exactly what I love about assignments like this, Kim! They are fun to us and our students, but where we know why we assign it to them, they don't. They're just lost in the moment, enjoying themselves, and subtly learning how to step into the shoes of someone, some character, they may otherwise never have been able to relate to. It's a pleasure to watch them obliviously reach stunning revelations.

      Delete
  2. Sarin,
    Your post brings up a great point! What I mean by that is I was talking about incorporating facebook/social media within lesson plans. There is a website called EdModo, which is the classroom version of facebook. I have to say it is definitely worthwhile to look into that because it helps control "cyber bullying" or "inappropriate behavior". I will be teaching The Odyssey next semester and can't wait to incorporate facebook/social media with all the different Gods that are studied. Students become alive and so excited when they can relate to something. I'm glad N was able to learn in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hitisha,

      Thank you so much for that suggestion! I had not heard of EdMondo, but I will definitely look into it, because curbing cyber-bullying while incorporating social networks, rather than simply ignoring them, sounds like such a wonderful prospect.

      Have fun teaching The Odyssey. It is one of my favorite units to learn about, over and over, so I hope teaching it is just as exciting, if not more. Imagining its characters on something like facebook is both interesting, fun and teachable, I believe.

      Delete